Turning the Other Cheek

Rodney K. Duke dukerk at appstate.edu
Mon Jan 14 07:58:20 EST 2002

Dear Walter,

I have not read the article that you linked to your post, but your statement below is
certainly not correct:

"This concept of not giving "evil for evil" to one's enemies is not to be
found in the Hebrew Bible. I have posited that this is a Hellenistic Greek
notion which was assimilated by some sects of Hellenized Judaism."

This concept is found in ancient wisdom literature.  See "Counsels of Wisdom"
(Akkadian) lines 40ff and Proverbs 25:21f.  Not everything come from Greece.
--
Dr. Rodney K. Duke
Dept. of Phil. & Rel., Appalachian State Univ., Boone, NC 28608
(O) 828-262-3091, (FAX) 828-262-6619, dukerk at appstate.edu