short or long

Trevor & Julie Peterson 06peterson at cua.edu
Sun Jan 13 07:15:49 EST 2002

I'm not sure what the question means. Most words don't close with a shva.
Final kaf always has some sort of vowel under it, so it often has a silent
shva. Otherwise, I think the most you're going to see is the on some
second-person suffixes, but that's a special case where you have a final
consonant cluster. The shva is silent, but the preceding syllable is closed.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics

[snipped]