short or long

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Sun Jan 13 01:30:45 EST 2002

In a message dated 1/13/2002 12:10:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
hebrew2day at hotmail.com writes:

> In the 3rd person plural (M or F) perfect tense how do you tell if the
> vowel is long or short, or if the shva is silent or vocal?
> I know the functions of the shva, but when the vowel is a gamets(before
> conjugated) does it change?

Example:

Gen 1.21 $fR:CW.
Since a syllable must begin on a consonant (unless it's a shureq), and since
there is no metheg to indicate the beginning of a new syllable this must be
divided

$fR:     |      CW.

The accent here is Milra' (on the last syllable).  This means that the "f" is
in a closed and UNACCENTED syllable.  It therefore must be hames-qatuph.

gfsomsel