Turning the Other Cheek

Walter Mattfeld mattfeld at mail.pjsnet.com
Sat Jan 12 06:08:52 EST 2002

Available is the following article titled "Turning the Other Cheek (The
Non-Hebraic Pre-Christian Origins of)"

An important aspect of Christ's teachings to his disciples was that they
should not seek revenge on their enemies, they are to "turn the other
cheek"-

"You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a
tooth.' But I say unto you, Do not resist one who is evil. But if any one
strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also; and if any one
would sue you and take your coat, let him have your cloak as well; and if
any one forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles."(Matthew 5:38-41,
RSV)

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate
your enemy.' But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who
persecute you, so that you may be sons of your father who is heaven."
(Matthew 5:43 RSV)

This concept of not giving "evil for evil" to one's enemies is not to be
found in the Hebrew Bible. I have posited that this is a Hellenistic Greek
notion which was assimilated by some sects of Hellenized Judaism. If
interested, please access the following url

 http://www.bibleorigins.net/PacifismChristian.html

All the best, Walter

Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld
Walldorf by Heidelberg