Qames or Qames-Hatuph

Bearpecs at aol.com Bearpecs at aol.com
Mon Jan 7 03:17:03 EST 2002

In a message dated 1/6/02 11:16:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lizfried at umich.edu writes:
> a closed syllable is one that ends in a consonant, no?

Watch out for the metheg!!

Compare the word we'okhla in Genesis 27:19 and the word we'akhela in
Leviticus 26:38.  The only difference is the metheg under the aleph in
Leviticus 26:38.  The metheg indicates that the syllables are we-'a-khela in
Lev26:38 whereas in Gen27:19 the syllables are we-'okh-la.  (Notice that the
metheg not only makes the qamatz a qamatz qatan, but also makes the shewa a
shewa na` [mobile].)

Only one small vertical stroke distinguishes the different pronunciations of
these two very different words (Gen: "and you will eat"; Lev: "and she ate").

This example comes from an invaluable reference:  _The Ohs and Ahs of Torah
Reading:  A Guide to the Kamatz Katan in the Torah, the Haftarot and the
Megillot_
Rivka Sherman-Gold
Yodan Publishing, Mountain View CA, 1998