120 years in Genesis 6

Ruthy & Baruch Alster alster at bezeqint.net
Mon Jan 7 02:21:50 EST 2002

Shalom!

According to an article by my teacher, Jacob Klein, 120 years is the maximum
lifespan for mankind in the Emar version of the Sumerian story "Enlil and
Namzitarra", which would mean that in Genesis, as well, this should be its
meaning.  120 years is the maximum lifespan for humanity , as opposed to
70-80 years, the normal lifespan in Psalm 90.  See J. Klein, "The 'Bane' of
Humanity: A Lifespan of One Hundred Twenty Years", _ASJ_ 12 (1990).

Kol Tuv,
Baruch Alster
Zufim, Israel