Qames or Qames-Hatuph

Lisbeth S. Fried lizfried at umich.edu
Sun Jan 6 23:18:42 EST 2002

OK, duly chastened. Going back to the Weingreen definition,
a closed syllable is one that ends in a consonant, no?
The Massoretes kindly tell you what syllable is accented.
So then, it's not so hard, just determine if the syllable ends in
a consonant, and if so, is it accented. If closed and unaccented,
it must be an o.
Very interesting, so just looking at Isaiah 43 at random here,
you have in 43:7 kol written as a separate word with a holom (defective),
and then in 43:9, just a few lines below, you have kol with a qameC Hatup.
This one has a maqqep to the next word. So in the first case it stands
alone and is accented, so a holom is used. In the second case it is joined
to the following word, and is unaccented, and closed, so a qameC Hatup.
So there you are.
So, how did the Maaoretes decide when to use a maqqep, and when not?
The word is always going to be pronounced kol.
Anyway, perusing the text for more examples ... .
I don't suppose a final heh would count as a consonant at
the end of the syllable. That's just a matres lexiones.
OK. So I guess now I know. Thanks! That was good.
Liz