Qames or Qames-Hatuph

Trevor & Julie Peterson 06peterson at cua.edu
Sun Jan 6 22:14:48 EST 2002

Yikes! Actually it turns up more often than you seem to think. I would say
that the majority of uses of qamets tend to be a-class, but there are still
quite a few o-class. Notable examples are narrative forms of II-vav roots
like vayyaqom and some infinitive forms. As for when it matters, I would
think knowing how to read a language aloud is generally a good thing
(considering that language is more than marks on a page). It's also helpful
in knowing how to recognize transcribed forms and knowing how to properly
analyze the morphology and phonology of a word.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics