Ideological considerations in translation theory

Andre Landman landmal at unisa.ac.za
Thu Jan 3 01:47:04 EST 2002

I am interested in researching the ideological factors involved in
Biblical Hebrew translation. Specifically I intend examining the
"Christianizing" of Old Testament translation theory and practice. By this
I mean to determine if and how the Christian ideology has affected
approaches to Old Testament translation, and how these influences (if any)
have affected reference works such as grammars and lexicons. I am neither
Jewish nor Christian so have no ideological agenda of my own, but wish to
determine how ideology can affect translation, particularly where sacred
writings are being translated. If anyone is aware of work that has been
done in this area I would appreciate some bibliographic pointers, as well
as comment.
Many thanks,
Andre Landman