YERUSHALEM

Trevor & Julie Peterson 06peterson at cua.edu
Mon Dec 30 09:20:17 EST 2002

Re: [b-hebrew] Re: YERUSHALEMI'm not saying I have an explanation for the
form--only questioning whether we can reasonably call it a dual ending. As
for the absence of the yod, I'd say we probably are dealing with a
difference between ketiv and qere. My first thought on where the different
readings arise is that the ketiv shows a contracted (unaccented?) diphthong
and the qere shows an uncontracted, accented form. Since we do find it
written as yerushalem elsewhere, I think there's good reason to suppose that
this was the form represented by the ketiv. But again, my point was not that
I think I have a better explanation than anyone else for how the form
arose--I'm simply asking whether it makes any sense to call the ending dual,
simply because it has the same surface shape.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics