YERUSHALEM

Raymond de Hoop rdehoop at keyaccess.nl
Mon Dec 30 08:25:04 EST 2002

At 30-12-2002 00:41 Trevor & Julie Peterson <06peterson at cua.edu> wrote:

The Hebrew dual ending comes from -aym-; this diphthong was always lost in
BH, either contracted to long e or extended to ayi, with the stress on a.
Yes, the dual is one common place where this diphthong would have occurred,
but it is by no means the only. If there's any reliability to the notion
that m is part of the stem, then it seems to me that this being a dual
ending is an unacceptable option.

Shalom Trevor,

I would not dare to say I 've the solution to these questions. But aren't
you suggesting that there is a diphtong ayi, where did they leave the "yod"
in the consonantal YRW$LM, and did it belong to the stem? I do agree with
you that the "mem" is part of the stem, but how did the Masoretes arive at
the dual pronunciation "ayim"?

Kol tuv,
Raymond

Dr Raymond de Hoop
Lecturer of Biblical Hebrew
University of Groningen
Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies
Oude Boteringestraat 38
NL-9712 GK Groningen
The Netherlands
e-mail: R.de.Hoop at theol.rug.nl