tsemach as "the Branch", Zechariah 3:8, 6:12,- Jeremiah 2...

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Fri Dec 27 10:55:57 EST 2002

In a message dated 12/27/2002 2:33:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
rosewalk at concentric.net writes:

> But who translated it, and how do you know they really "understood"
> the correct intentions of the Torah/original Hebrew?
>
> Shoshanna
>

> >Hello, how are you?
> >
> >I would like to offer some information if I may:  This noun is used 12
> >times in the bible - in the following ways it has been translated:
> >
> >1.  Hosea 8:7 as BUD
> >2.  Genesis 19:25 as that which GREW upon the ground
> >3.  Ezekiel 16:7 as BUD
> >4.  Ezekiel 17:9 as SPRING
> >5.  Ezekiel 17:10 as GREW
> >6.  Psalm 65:11 as thou blessed the SPRINGING therof
> >
> >The other 6 times it is translated as BRANCH referring clearly to the
> >Messiah.
> >This is not intended to be an exhaustive study just a few extras that I
> >hope are helpful

Rose,

I think you are reacting to the Christian interpretation of "Messiah" here.
In Zech 3.8; 6.12 the reference is almost certainly to Is 11.1 which is
fairly clearly a promise of the continuation of the Davidic line.  That it
has been understood by the church as referring to Jesus is quite beside the
point.  It could also be simply taken at it face value.  In this sense it
might be considered as referring to the Messiah -- if not in Isaiah, then
almost certainly in Zechariah.

gfsomsel