El Shaddai

Ben and Jo Crick ben.crick at argonet.co.uk
Thu Dec 26 09:35:39 EST 2002

On Tue 24 Dec 2002 (09:45:12), djefferi at chorus.net wrote:
> I've always found the connection of Shaddai and "breast(s)" following
> from a "lost" goddess/consort image very interesting (though I don't
> have bibliography at hand to share).  Any comments on why this is
> apparently seldom considered?

 Dear Daryl

 There are images of Diana/Artemis as a multi-breasted figurine, especially
 associated with the Temple of Diana/Artemis in Ephesus (Acts 19:23ff).
 This was probably a meteorite which "fell from heaven" (Acts 19:35).

 $aDaH is a root not used; the Arabic cognate means "to water copiously".
 Thus the dual $aDaYiM (cstr $:DeY) means the female breasts.

 This is "seldom considered" because of the known aversion of YHWH to the
 sexual fertility goddesses of Canaanite religion. Asherah the consort of
 Baal was a snare to the Israelites (Judges 3:7). The wooden statues or
 sacred trees to Asherah were commanded to be chopped down (Exodus 34:13)
 or burnt (Deuteronomy 12:3). No Asherah was to be permitted anywhere near
 the Altar of YHWH 'eLoHiYM (Deuteronomy 16:21).

 Did the Canaanites refer to Asherah as /'eL-$aDaYiM/ ?  Who knows?

 Maybe the wooden goddess Asherah was the butt of Isaiah's supreme sarcasm
 in Isaiah 44:9-20.

 We need no Romulus to account for Rome; we need no breasts to account for
 'eL-$aDDaY. There is a well-known representation of Romulus and Remus
 being suckled by a she-wolf.

 Shalom
 Ben
 <ben.crick at argonet.co.uk>