Hosea 13:14 - please help

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Mon Dec 23 12:23:46 EST 2002

In a message dated 12/23/2002 9:57:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
watts-westmaas at zonnet.nl writes:

> Shalom and hello, I am new to this site and although I have taught myself
> to read hebrew I have had absolutely no professional tuition.  I have for
> about two years longed for a discussion group or whatever but it is nigh
> impossible here in Holland.
>
> To begin with I have many questions - but will not burden you all at once.
>
> The word translated in Hoshea 13:14 as PLAGUES is (according to shoshan's
> concordance) translated this way only once. Why is dvar'cha so used?

There are two homonyms (pointing aside):  one meaning word, matter, etc. and
the other meaning pestilence.  You will find that D.eBeR which means
"pestilence" is used much more frequently than once.  See Ex 5.2, 9.15; Num
14.32; Dt 28.21; 2 Sam 24.13,15; 1 Kg 8. 37; Hos 13.14; Am 4.10.  There are
others--mostly parallels to certain passages.

gfsomsel