Beasts and b-

Ian Hutchesson mc2499 at mclink.it
Sun Dec 22 14:16:47 EST 2002

How do people see the difference between xy and bhmh
(chey and behemah)? Is it simply that of beast of
burden as against wild beast?

How does one deal with behemot?

Is a horse a bhmh?

Is an elephant a bhmh?

In Dan 7:7 the Seleucid elephant is called in Aramaic
xyw'. Is this perhaps because of the context of other
wild animals, the lion, the panther and the leopard?

---

In the Habakkuk Pesher we find the Kittim mentioned

  hkty'ym '$r ydw$w 't h'rc bswsyhm wbbhmtm

("the Kittim who trample the earth with their horses
and their beasts" -- trad. Martinez)

Should the b- in the above really be translated "with"?
How can you choose between locative and instrument in
this case? In Anglo-Saxon these cases coalesced because
of the difficulty ("on horse" or "by horse"?), so do we
remain with an ambiguity here?

Or should "on their horses" be `l-swsyhm ?

Thanks,

Ian