Language Laws

c stirling bartholomew cc.constantine at worldnet.att.net
Thu Dec 19 21:11:08 EST 2002

on 12/19/02 9:13 AM, Paul Zellmer wrote:

> Again, in my experience, the ones who have received
> training in the mere use of tools have nearly all stopped
> using even those tools within a relatively short time
> frame (2-5 years or less).

I think Paul is being very generous here. I suspect that 2 years is close to
the outside limit for most (not all) of the tools-only students of ancient
languages. I make use of the tools (mostly electronic ones) but I prefer to
just read unpointed text. Not fluent by any means.

The analytical approach works even with modern languages. I know a man who
taught himself to read English by reading labels on condensed milk cans
while being held in British POW camp. He now reads English like a champ.

greetings, clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point