R: Rephaim

furuli at online.no furuli at online.no
Thu Dec 19 06:26:29 EST 2002

Dear Fred,

Whether the noun is connected with RP) = "to heal" or RPH ="to become
feeble", "to sink down" cannot be known with certainty. The Ugaritic
evidence regarding the meaning of RP)Y is uncertain, and the Hebrew
word need not signify more than "the one who has sunk down in death".
To interpret Hebrew words in the light of Ugaritic is possible, but
never conclusive (cf. all the criticism M. Dahood got from his
extensive use of Ugaritic in his Psalm Commentary, The Anchor Bible).
The most balanced treatment of the word of which I know, is Harris,
R. L. et al (1980) "Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament"
II:858. There is no place in the OT which definitely show that dead
persons are "alive" after death, and  the idea that the dead exist as
"shadows"  is simply fictional "the shadow-idea once occurred in the
mind of someone, and afterwards it has been uncritically repeated".
Even for Ugaritic I am not aware of any hard evidence showing that
the  word "shadow" should be used as a designation for the dead;
absolutely not in  Hebrew, and not in Accadian (the *opinion* of
Gordon or anybody else cannot be used as evidence).

Another example of how mythology is introduced in Bible translations,
is the word )I++IM in Isaiah 19.3. This is a hapax, and it is quite
dramatic that the translators of the Norwegian Version of 1978/85
have introduced a new doctrine on the basis of a word occurring once
and having an obscure meaning. It is translated by as "de dodes
ander" ("the spirits of the dead", NIV and others have done the
same). In this case Accadian is used to interpret the Hebrew word,
because Accadian has the word ETEMMU, which can refer to the spirit
of a dead person. We cannot take for granted that the religion of the
Hebrews were similar to the one of the Babylonians, and we note that
ETEMMU also has the meaning "enchanter". The parallel words of Isaiah
19:3 suggests that enchanter is the reference here.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo