"Non-Academic" Original Languages?

Mark Wessner mark at wessner.ca
Tue Dec 17 17:10:43 EST 2002

I here I thought I was asking a simple question yesterday ...  ;-)

Actually, this whole discussion proves the importance of this mailing list
- where else could I get such a variety of comments from a variety of
students and teachers?  Thank you for all of your advice!

I agree with you, Trevor, that it is better to learn the languages if at
all possible.  An I that is the key - it is not necessarily *possible* for
everybody (due to interest, ability, resources, need, whatever).  For
example, I would never trade my ability to use the languages (although I am
slowly getting rusty from non-use!) as it has changed the way I read the
Bible (and almost every other text - ancient or modern).  However, I am
also very aware that not everybody has the interest or opportunity to go
all the way down the road.  It is with these people in mind, that I asked
my original question.  And I obviously didn't state it clearly - sorry!

So ... given the interest in this subject, if any b-hebrewers (or
b-greekers) would be interested in emailing me a list of their recommended
introductory language resources (and identify if this is for scenario 1 or
2), I would be happy to *try* to collate them into one list for your
further review.  Such a resource may possibly prove to be a valuable tool
(as a generic starting point) for anyone who is interested in beginning to
learn/teach the languages.  Then, as an individual's interest and
experience progresses, they will begin to form their own theory of language
acquisition (as is already so evident on this list!).  I realize that this
may be an audacious goal, but it would be one small way of putting a
practical spin on all of this great discussion.

Let me know what you think ...

Mark

PS.  I appreciate your cautions about the "a little knowledge ..."
catch-phrase, Bryan.