"Non-Academic" Original Languages?

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Tue Dec 17 16:07:09 EST 2002

B-Haverim,

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing?   Hm..

A few maxims:
1.   But a lot of knowledge always started with a little knowledge.

2.  But a little knowledge is not so dangerous if one is aware that he only
has a little.  I think anyone capabale of learning a Biblical language can
be taught this qualification.

3.  There are some dangers to a lot of knowledge, too.

I would like to recommend for non-academic settings my _Learning Biblical
Hebrew: A New Approach Using Discourse Analysis_.  I have successfully used
the volume with church groups containing everyone from doctor to plumber,
high school freshman and sophomores.  After summer vacation, my students had
excellent retention (sometimes a remarkable feat for high school kids).
Missionary friends have successfully used it in the mission field with
second language speakers of English.  While the book has its fair share of
linguistic lingo it is generally used without assumptions about the
students' educational background.  All students are assumed to be starting
in linguistics from scratch.  One of the gretaer challenges in using the
book is that it truly is a new approach.  The instructor or leader may have
to learn some lingo along with his students!

Church folks usually take a year to get through it.

The students begin reading the Bible in Lesson 1--very motivational!

The course is meant to be self-contained.  IOW, the students feel like they
have something useful at the course's end whether they go on in their
studies or not.

The volume is available most cheaply through www.helwys.com .

Enjoy!

Shalom,