R: R: Balaams Kittim ships

Ian Hutchesson mc2499 at mclink.it
Mon Dec 16 14:08:26 EST 2002

Michael,

Further on this Musri/u (and Mehru), even Ashur-uballit
is credited as subduing Musri. Adad-Nirari I, ARI 1, 1,
§384, says that Ashur-uballit's sovereignity "was
established as far away as the mountains, subduer of the
land Musru, disperser of the hordes of the extensive
land of the Shubaru..." Ashur-uballit's operations of
course were constricted by Babylon, Hatti and Mitanni
and his chief deeds were the liberation of Assyria from
Mitannian hegemony and the extension of the realm to the
north, obviously including Musri/u (Mehru). It's not
strange therefore to find that Shubaru is also a
northern realm mentioned in the context of other
northern realms such as Lullumu and Qutu, ARI 1, §381.

Given Ashur-uballit's limited horizons, looking beyond
them seems inappropriate to find this Musri/u (Mehru).

We now have three different rulers who claimed to have
subdued Musri/u (Mehru), Ashur-uballit I, Shalmaneser I
and Tiglath-Pileser I. I don't think, given the
political realities, that any of these is claiming
victory over Egypt.

As to Mehru and Musru, one should note that although
these terms are often used in the same sorts of lists
of northern realms, they never appear together in the
same list. This is yet another indicator that they are
probably the same place.

And one last fact about Musru, Harrak, in "Assyria and
Hanigalbat", 1987, p226, mentions a tablet, VAT 18012,
which records barley rations given by the Assyrian
administration to various groups of soldiers "probably
stationed in Kar-Tukulti-Ninurta". Amongst them were
51 soldiers of the land Qumana and 26 from the land
Musru. Assyria is feeding levied soldiers. I never knew
that Assyria levied soldiers from Egypt.

Ian

Ian Hutchesson
Rome