'Memra'?

Yohanan Goldman Amirpatrick.Goldman at unifr.ch
Tue Apr 30 08:04:12 EDT 2002

HI, Ian,
It's a well known word, if not the most famous among aramaists and
targumists.Several articles and books have been written on it
regarding the possible relationship with the Logos in the Gospel
of John.
Though it's a long time I am not swimming in these waters, I recall
clearly that it oftens aims at protecting the transcendance of God in
the Targumin. For example when God creates or says something, it
is the Word of God (The Memra of the Lord) who speaks in Targum.
(I would not be surprised if one would connect this personalisation of
the Word with the influence of stoician philosophy in the land of
Israel.)

Yohanan

--

Yohanan A.P. Goldman