Hebrew Syntax., 2 Sam 15:37

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Fri Apr 19 04:37:06 EDT 2002

Dear Dave,

I found your thoughs coherrent and logical, and I am sure that the
models of  Bryan and Alviero are based on systematic thinking as
well. I hope I am always able to bring across that I criticize
methodologies and not persons,their knowledge or intelligence.

I agree with you that statistics is just a help and should be used
with care. The problem that causes the differences in understanding
Hebrew verbs is in my view that many scholars have not done the
fundamental groundwork that leads to the understanding of the
fundamental parameters and concepts.

For example, how many of those on this list have pondered on the
*definition* of aspect? (Just look into your own mind) How many have
worked with the concepts "equipollent" and "privative" in connection
with aspect, and have decided that Hebrew aspects are either
equipollent or privative? These are not just theoretical questions
but are highly significant for the theunderstanding of verbs.

My research has led me to the conclusion that Hebrew aspects are not
equipollent, i.e. there is not one negative and and one positive part
with equal semantical weight, but they are privative, i.e. the two
aspects constitute one positive part each with no negative part of
equal semantic weight.

In a privative system (the concept is from the phonological studies
of the Prague school in the 1930es) one member is marked (its meaning
or area of function is more restricted than the unmarked member). And
most important, the unmarked member may have a meaning different from
the marked member, but it may also have the same meaning as the
marked member. We can illustrate this by the unmarked word "lion" and
the marked "lionness". The word "lionness" stands in opposition to
"male lion", and here we have an equipollent opposition. However, the
word "lion" can both denote the genus lion, a "lionness", or a "male
lion". The relationship between "lion" and "lioness" therefore is
privative.

It is obvious that if one does not have a well founded opinion as to
whether Hebrew aspects are equipollent or privative, any research
above the sentence level (discourse analysis) can give wrong results.
As a matter of fact, if Hebrew aspects are privative, as I believe,
discourse analysis has an extreme drawback from the start.

Another problem is the very nature of aspect. The English aspects
(present participle - imperfective and perfect - perfecive) can be
viewed as privative, but at the same time they are in one respect
mutually exclusive. Actions expressed by the imperfective aspect are
never terminated at reference time and actions expressed by the
perfective aspect are always terminated at reference time. If this
model, with this opposition, is transferred to Hebrew, as is very
often the case, one uses wrong parameters and the results MUST  be
wrong!

The following important observation is the result of the conclusion
that Hebrew aspects are privative and that they both have
similarities and differences compared with English aspects:

Both Hebrew aspects can in many cases be used for exactly the same
situation without any difference in meaning!

Aspect plays just a minor part in signalling meaning because it is a
subjective viewpoint that does not contribute anything new, just
helps make some things visible and other invisible. Lexical meaning,
Aktionsart, and the syntax of the clause is of much more important
for conveying meaning than aspect.

I will point to one example, namely 2:1,2.

"Why are the nations in tumult (QATAL) and the national groups
themselves keep muttering (YIQTOL) an empty thing? The kings of earth
take their stand (YIQTOL) And high officials themselves mass together
(QATAL) as one."

The verse contains two QATALs and two YIQTOLs, but who can point to
any difference in meaning? The thoughts of the verse is of the kind
that both aspects can be used indiscriminately; the YIQTOL plays the
role of the lionness and the QATAL plays the role of the lion.

I agree with the approach of Alviero, Bryan and others in their
discourse analysis, that we must isolate those forms that indicate a
certain meaning and interpret other similar forms where the meaning
is not visible in the light of those forms having meaning. However,
the practical execution of this principle is diametrically opposite
in my case compared with theirs.

For example, in most cases of WAYYIQTOL and YIQTOL with past
reference, we cannot see, on the basis of the context, whether the
aspect is imperfective or peerfective. Therefore I have analysed all
the finite and infinite forms of MT on the basis of the relationship
between event time, reference time and the deictic point. On this
basis I can draw the definite conclusion that it neither is discourse
function, nor verb form that give the temporal reference of a clause
but only the context. Further, I have found all the examples of
WAYYIQTOL and YIQTOL (and the other forms as well) where the
relationship between reference time and event time can give only one
interpretation as to aspect (e.g. conative situations, intersection
of RT in the middle of ET etc). There are so many WAYYIQTOLs which
definitely are imperfective that I draw the conclusion that those
WAYYIQTOLs where we cannot see the aspect, are imperfective as well.
Because all forms have been analysed, the conclusion has a sound
basis; in this case is statistics important.

On the basis of the fundamental parameters durativity, dynamicity,
telicity, event time, reference time,the deictic point, privative
versus equipollent, and these applied to *all* the verbs of the MT I
draw the conclusion that Hebrew has only two conjugations (YIQTOL,
WAYYIQTOL, and WEYIQTOL are imperfective, and QATAL and WEQATAL are
perfective).

Regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli