Hebrew Syntax.

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Mon Apr 15 03:14:04 EDT 2002

Dear Moon, Peter, and Dave,

In my view, Galia has produced a very fine scientific work. However,
it just covers a part of the Hebrew Bible and her interpretations of
some of her examples may be open to discussion. The example I used is
not an exception.

In my analysis of all the YIQTOLS  of the MT (13.625, I may have
missed a few, and a few were textually spurious) I got the following
results:

Past 1.022
Pre-past 5
Perfect 173
Present:1.804
gnomic 657
Future 4.841
Modal 5.117

I ascribe modality to "only" 37,6 % of them. Even some YIQTOLs which
are sentence initial evidently are indicative. In his article "The
Distribution of Short and Long Imperfect Forms in Biblical Hebrew",
Le$onenu 1,2, 5760-5761, 2000-2001, Moshe Florentin refers to "150
indicative forms (not cohortative) in a head position /sentence
initial/"

The reproduction below of one of the tables of my thesis regarding
BW) with past meaning shows that YIQTOL is frequently used in the
indicative. There are many more examples of BW)  than those that
occur in the table and hundreds of examples of other YIQTOLs with
past meaning in the indicative.

a	Genesis 6:4	The Nephilim were (ŠwyDh) in the earth in
that days, and also after that, when the sons of God were going
(ŠwaøbÎy rRvSa) to the daughters of men and they bore (ŠwdVlÎy×w)
sons to them
b	Genesis 27:33	and I ate (lAkOaÎw) of everything before you
came in (awøbD;t M®rRfV;b) and I blessed him (ŠwhEkßrDbSaÎw)
c	Genesis 30.38	And the staffs that he had peeled (lEŠxIÚp),
he placed (gEŠxÅ¥yÅw) in front of the flock, in the gutters, in the
watering troughs, where the flocks came (Î  NaøbD;t rRvSa) to drink
d	Genesis 41.50	Before the year of famine came (awøbD;t
M®rRfV;b), two sons were born (dA;l¨y) to Joseph
e	Judges 14:18	Before the sun went down (aøbÎy M®rRfV;b) on
the seventh day the men of the town said (ŠwrVmaø¥yÅw) to him
f	2 Samuel 15.37	And David's friend Husai came (aøbÎ¥yÅw) into
the city; also Absalom came (aøbÎy MølDvVbAa×w) into Jerusalem.
g	1 Kings 3.16	Then two women, prostitutes, came in
(hÎnaøbD;t zDa) to the king, and they stood (hÎnˆdOmSoA;tÅw) before
him
h	1 Kings 4:28	And the barley and the straw for the horses
and for the teams of horses they kept bringing (ŠwaIbÎy vRkrDl×w
MyIsŠw;sAl NRbR;tAh×w MyîrOoVÚcAh×w) to the proper place
i	2 Kings 6:32	And Elisha was sitting (bEvOy) in his own
house, and the older men were sitting (MyIbVvOy) with him; and he
sent (jAlVv–¥yÅw) a man before him. Before the messenger had come in
(aøbÎy M®rRfV;b), he himself said (rAmDa) to the older men
j	2 Kings 19.33	By the way that he came (aøbÎy_rRvSa) he will
return (bŠwvÎy) (yiqt past and fut)
k	2Kings 20:14	And Isaiah the prophet came in (aøbÎ¥yÅw) to
king Hezekiah and said (rRmaø¥yÅw) to him: "What did these men say
(ŠwrVmDa) and from where did they come (ŠwaøbÎy N–yAaEmŠw)
l	1 Chronicles 9:28	For it was by number that they were
brought in (MŠwayIb×y rDÚpVsImVbŠw) and it was by number tht they
were brought out (MŠwayIxwøy)
m	Ezra 10:8	And anyone that did not come (awøbÎy_aøl) in
three daysŠ all his goods was put under ban (MårFjÎy)
n	Nehemiah 13:19	And some of my own attendants I stationed
(yI;tˆdAmToRh) at the gates; no one came in (awøbÎy_aøl) on the
Sabbath day
o	Esther 2:14	She did not go in (awøbDt_aøl) again to the
king unless the king had taken delight (XEpDj_MIa) and she was called
(hDaˆrVq–n×w) by name
p	Ezekiel 19:9	And they put (Šwh¨nV;t–¥yÅw) him in a cage by
means of hooks, and they brought (ŠwhUaIb×yÅw) him to the king of
Babylon. They brought (ŠwhUaIb×y) him into prison, so his voice was
no longer heard on the mountains of Israel.
q	Habakkuk 3:16	I heard (yI;tVoAmDv), and my belly trembled
(zÅŠgˆrI;tÅw), my lips quivered (ŠwlSlDx) at the sound, rottenness
entered (awøbÎy) into my bones, and I trembled (zΊgˆrRa) within
myself.

Regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli