Hebrew Syntax.

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Sun Apr 14 06:36:44 EDT 2002

Dear discourse analysts,

Today I have been working with all the examples of BW) ("to come in")
realized as YIQTOLs with past reference. To illustrate the influence
of discourse analysis on Bible translation, I invite you to analyse 2
Samuel 15:37 by help of this method and any other method you deem fit.

Question: Do you prefer the first group of renderings, and in that
case, why? Or do you prefer the second group of renderings, and in
that case, why?

NIV So David's friend Hushai arrived at Jerusalem as Absalom was
entering the city.

NLT So David's friend Hushai returned to Jerusalem, getting there
just as Absalom arrived.

NRSV So Hushai, David's friend, came into the city, just as Absalom
was entering Jerusalem.

RSV So Hushai, David's friend, came into the city, just as Absalom
was entering Jerusalem.

KJV So Hushai David's friend came into the city, and Absalom came
into Jerusalem.

  ASV So Hushai, David's friend, came into the city; and Absalom came
into Jerusalem.

LUTHER  So kam Huschai, der Freund Davids, in die Stadt. Und Absalom
zog in Jerusalem ein.

Regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli