Hebrew Syntax.

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Fri Apr 12 13:37:15 EDT 2002

Dear Lee,

I appreciate your question because it reveals that I clipped and
pasted a wrong example, one including a QATAL when I wanted to use a
WAYYIQTOL. Examples (1) and (2) below may illustrate my point:

(1) Genesis 29:18 And Jacob loved (or, was in love with) Rachel

(2) Psalm 119.167 My soul keeps (QATAL) your statutes, for I love
(WAYYIQTOL) them greatly

A few words for those on the list who are not familiar with the
parameters for analysing aspect: We have to deal with two kinds of
time, deictic and non-deictic time. Non-deictic time consists of two
members, "event time" which is real time, and "reference time" which
is conceptual time. The concept "tense" (= grammaticalization of
location in time") is deictic and aspect is non-deictic.

When we speak or write about events we refer to them from a
particular vantage-point that often is speech-time (or the time of
writing). This vantage-point is called the "deictic point" (C). Tense
is the relationship between the deictic point and the event, past
tense - the event occurs before C, present tense - the event
coincides with C, future tense - the events occurs after C. Note that
past, present, and future *reference* is not necessarily past,
present, and future *tense*. Only when a form has a particular
function (e.g. past reference) and no other temporal function can it
be called a tense. So, even though 90 % of the WAYYIQTOLs have past
reference, they need not represent past *tense*.

An event takes some time, and this time from beginning to end is
called "event time" (ET). This ET is non-deictic because it is not
seen in relation to the deictic point (C), but only in relation to
its own beginning and end. Both tense and event time represent real
time. When we refer to events, not only do we describe them in
relation to a deictic point, but we tend to make just a part of the
event visible for the reader or listener. Two Examples (3) and (4)
may illustrate the point:

(3) Jill was reading the Hebrew Bible.

(4) Jill has read the Hebrew Bible.

In (3), what is made visible is a small section of progressive
reading, with no beginning or end being seen. In (4), only the end of
the reading event is made visible and no progressive action is
visible. Example (3) represents the imperfective aspect in English
and (4) represents the perfective aspect. The conceptual time
"reference time" can be compared to a pointing finger, either it
points to the nucleus of the event and makes a part of the
progressive event visible, or it points  to its coda, making the end
visible. In a scientific language we can say that reference time
intersects event time; when the perfective aspect is used in English,
reference time intersects event time at the coda, and when the
imperfective aspect is used, reference time intersects event time at
the nucleus.

In English, the aspect used help us make an un-ambiguous
interpretation of whether the event was terminated or not at RT. The
Hebrew aspects are much more complex, and we cannot know on the basis
of the aspect that is used whether an event is terminated or not at
RT. However, if RT intersects ET at the nucleus, we can conclude that
the verb is inperfective in Hebrew. Both in example (1) and (2) the
love continued after RT, and it suggests that the two WAYYIQTOLs are
imnperfective.

Regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli