Hebrew Syntax.

Lee R. Martin lmartin at vol.com
Fri Apr 12 08:27:37 EDT 2002

RE: Hebrew Syntax.
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Rolf Furuli [mailto:furuli at online.no]
  Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 10:27 AM
  To: Biblical Hebrew
  Subject: RE: Hebrew Syntax.

  **clipped**

  The only restrictions I have found after analysing the 60.000 finitie and
infinite forms of the Tanach is that conative situations (something is
attempted but not carried out) and situastions where one verb intersects
another verb (as in "when John entered, Peter was reading the paper") can
only be expressed by the imperfective aspect (YIQTOL, WEYIQTOL and
WAYYIQTOL), and not with the perfective aspect (QATAL and WEQATAL). (BTW. In
most states expressed by a WAYYIQTOL, the state is intersected in the middle
(imperfective aspect),and not at the end, as in (1). The point in (1) is not
that the slave "had loved" but that he "does" love. Even when the reference
of a state is past, the intersection is usually in the middle.

  (1) Deuteronomy 15:16 And it must occur (WAYYIQTOL) that in the case he
says (YIQTOL) to you, "I will not go out (YIQTOL) from your company" because
he does love (QATAL) you and your household

  Dear Rolf,
  I am not sure that I understand your point above, but I would point out
that Deut. 15:16 does not begin with Wayyiqtol; it begins with Weqatal
(WeHaYaH).  May I ask clarification? Which verb in Deut 15:16 is
intersecting and which is being intersected? Thanks.
  Lee R. Martin