Psalm 73:1

Bill Burks rwburks at flash.net
Thu Apr 11 20:17:42 EDT 2002

George and Bill,

I first want to say that I agree completely with the comments on the translation by
George:

He wrote:

> )aK +oWB L:Yi&:Rf)"L ):eLoHiYM
> L:BfR"Y L"BfB
>
> As literalistic as I can make it the passage goes
>
> Surely good to Israel [is] God
> to pure ones of heart.

And I also find agreement on his comments concerning parallel ideas in Hebrew.  There
are a couple of things I would note here.  If I am reading my BHS codes correctly the
word  concerning the word L:Yi&Rf)"l  "It has been proposed" (prp) lay.f$fr   )l which
would render this word for Israel as "to the straight (one)".  If this reading were
correct and the phrase "to the straight one" were to be put into the translation
provided by George it would read:

Surely good to *the straight one" [is] God
to pure ones of heart.

Also I would note that verse 2 also seems to be a contrasting parrallel to the
information in verse 1.  The second passage goes like this ( I am using the
rosetta.atla-centr Transliteration Codes for this if not the correct set of
transliteration codes for the list ... please help me pick the correct ones):

wa)Aniy     k.im:(a+    nf+Uy  rag:lfy   k.:)ayin   $up.:kah   )A$urfy

but I like (an) insignificant (one), my feet have turned aside (qere),
like nothing foot steps are poured out (both qere and ketib).

nf+Uy (ketib) qal passive part. masc. singular ... nf+fyU  (qere) qal perfect 3rd pers
plural  ...
$up.:kah  (ketib) qal passive perfect 3rd person feminine singular ... $up.:ku.

The above qere seem to  function .... the first is to correct number and gender ...

So it looks as though we may have the following pattern.

(phrase1+restatement of phrase 1) contrasted to (phrase2+restatement of phrase 2).

I hope this helps ... I am just learning to use the masorah apparatus and thought I
would look at this verse for fun.

Regards,

Bill Burks