Hebrew Syntax.

Peter Kirk Peter_Kirk at sil.org
Wed Apr 10 17:53:00 EDT 2002

Well, Rolf, it seems that you accept discourse analysis as evidence of
how forms are used. But if this evidence "can tell us nothing about the
meaning of YIQTOL, QATAL, WAYYIQTOL, and WEQATAL", what can tell us
about their meaning? We have no evidence other than the text. So either
we have to learn about the meaning from the patterns we find in the
text, or we have to conclude that we can have no idea what the text
means.

You then go on to invite me to reanalyse the text based on an assumption
of the results of that analysis. In particular you insist that they
assume that "the prefixed WAWs are just conjunctions", although past
studies have demonstrated that these prefixed WAWs have specific
discourse functions. That is methodologically untenable. I agree that
analysts should not assume the four conjugation model either. But they
should work with the real data which they find in the text and not with
presuppositions forced on them.

Peter Kirk