TOHUW WA BOHUW in Gen & Jer.

Peter Kirk Peter_Kirk at sil.org
Wed Apr 3 10:51:28 EST 2002

I guess you are implying that 1:2 is sequential to 1:1, and would
translate something like "In the beginning God created the heavens and
the earth. Then the earth became TOHU..." But this is not what the
Hebrew text says. The X-QATAL construction implies not consecutiveness
but a previous state: "The earth had been TOHU..." The verb form is not
enough to settle this issue decisively, but it is enough to suggest that
as the more probable interpretation.

Peter Kirk

Kingdom