BR)$YT, the continuing saga.

Ian Hutchesson mc2499 at mclink.it
Mon Apr 1 18:10:31 EST 2002

>Since you quoted Abegg's _The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible_ on the LXX and Genesis, what is the
>significance of their note that "the precursor to the Septuagint reading of 'gathering' (miqveh)
>rather than the traditional Hebrew 'place' is found in the Dead Sea Scroll classified as
>4QGenh1.  In addition, the accomplishment of God's command, again found in the Greek, is evident
>in 4QGenk."  Is this not some evidence for a "Hebrew Vorlage" for the LXX?

If you look at the other references to 4QGen(k) it is not
related to LXX. 4QGen(h1) preserves only Gen 1:8-10, so
there is too little to comment on as a whole. What I was
talking about was an LXX textual tradition, not individual
similarities.

>Incidentally, the _Dead Sea Scrolls Bible_ translates "bereshit" as "In the beginning God
>created..."

That's the translators' prerogative, following the
traditional translations.

Ian