Psalm 2:12 and Proverbs 31 ben/bar

Fred Putnam fputnam at biblical.edu
Mon Apr 1 10:23:25 EST 2002

GfSomel wrote: "Maintaining the consonantal text is always preferable.  In the oldest
manuscripts the letters were not always separated (in fact, as I recall, they usually
weren't)."
	In fact, the epigraphic evidence is consistently against scripto continuo (for a
well-researched popular discussion, see A. Millard in Bible Review (or BAR) a few
years ago--I can dig out the bib. ref. if anyone wants it). This seems to raise questions
about the validity of that step of Prof. Krahmolkov's method. The rest is compelling,
Liz, and certainly to be preferred to the divisions in BHS, which seem to reflect
Bardtke's views of Hebrew poetry more than anything else.
	Sorry to be so late chiming on this--our e-mail service and my health have not
been conducive to quick replies. :-)

Best wishes,
Fred

Frederic Clarke Putnam, Ph.D.