perfect vs imperfect

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Wed Mar 21 19:20:00 EST 2001

> Dear Friends,
> Does anyone have of a concise statement of the difference in
> meaning/aspect between the Hebrew perfect and imperfect?  And perhaps an
> example or two to illustrate the differences?  Cheers.
> Mike D.

Nobody knows for sure.  Ask a dozen grammarians and you'll likely
get a dozen different answers.  A couple of good starting points are
my Hebrew Studies 1994 article "Chomsky's Separation of Syntax
and Semantics" and Galia Hatav's book "The Semantics of Aspect
and Modality" published by John Benjamins.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
violated."  C. S. Lewis