"cross over" in Exodus

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Mon Mar 19 22:17:37 EST 2001

I came across the phrase KOL HF(OB"R (AL-HAP.:QUDIYM in
Exodus 30:13 and got curious about it.  The context seems to
indicate a census of some kind; the NIV translates "crosses over
to those already counted" and Keil & Delitzsch say it refers to
mustering an army.  Verse 14 seems to hint at this, since it uses
the same phrase with the formula "from 20 years and upward," but
the only other place I was able to find this phrase is also in
Exodus, in 38:26.  I'm wondering if there's any more to this phrase,
and if anyone has a thought as to why it only appears in Exodus,
and then only 3 times.  "Cross over" seems like an odd expression
to use for a census or drafting an army, so it makes me wonder if
there's a nuance to the expression that I'm not seeing.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
violated."  C. S. Lewis