Adonay

Numberup at worldnet.att.net Numberup at worldnet.att.net
Thu Mar 15 19:29:48 EST 2001

The _Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament_ by Harris, Archer, and Waltke notes
that 'DONAI appears more than 300 times in the HB, and may represent an "intensive
plural or plural of majesty." (Vol. 1, page 13)  Some translations thus render 'DONAI
(with) YHWH  (cf. Genesis 15:2) as "O Sovereign LORD" (NIV);  "LORD All-Powerful"
(CEV);  "Sovereign Lord Jehovah" (NWT), indicating that the word means more than just
ordinarily "lord."

Solomon Landers