Patriarchal Narratives

Bill Rea cctr114 at it.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Mar 15 15:55:47 EST 2001

Ben wrote:-

>I'm so glad that the biblical heroes were men of flesh-and-blood, not
>super-saints who could never put a foot wrong!  There's hope for us
>all!  As far as I can recall, the only biblical character to have
>nothing negative said about him is Daniel. What a role-model!

While I know people who admire Daniel, I don't know of anyone who
*identifies* with him. As literature Daniel is not as good as the
patriarchal narratives. Despite their brevity, they give us flawed
people who struggle with themselves. We (or at least I) can feel
something about Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Daniel leaves me cold.

Bill Rea, Information Technology Dept., Canterbury  University  \_
E-Mail b dot rea at it dot canterbury dot ac dot nz             </   New
Phone   64-3-364-2331, Fax     64-3-364-2332                   /)  Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator                                    (/'