ghayin

Peter Kirk Peter_Kirk at sil.org
Tue Mar 13 16:18:50 EST 2001

Almost certainly ayin, not ghayin. How do I know? Because the Azerbaijani
form of this name (oddly enough, a common personal name) uses an apostrophe
not a g breve. This implies that the underlying Arabic as `eyn not gheyn.

Actually this is implicit in BDB. BDB lists K.:NA(AN under the root KFNA(
for which it gives an Arabic cognate with an `eyn. If the BDB authors had
thought that K.:NA(AN used a ghayin, they would have conjectured a separate
root.

Peter Kirk