ghayin

Kevin L. Barney klbarney at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 13 10:27:01 EST 2001

I am trying to find out whether the ayin in Canaan (Kena'an) was
originally a true ayin or ghayin.  Does anyone know?  How would one go
about finding the answer to this question?  Is there some notation in BDB
or something I should know about?

Also, I did not know until yesterday that there was such a thing as
ghayin.  I take it this was originally a separate letter with a gh
pronunciation that merged at an early date with ayin, and is not
separately represented in modern transcriptions.  If anyone would care to
offer any more background on ghayin, I would appreciate it.

Kevin L. Barney
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
klbarney at yahoo.com