deuteronomy, liz, response

Peter Kirk Peter_Kirk at sil.org
Sat Mar 10 10:44:22 EST 2001

I would surmise that after a certain date copyists took extreme care not to
modernise the orthography, perhaps because they developed a very high view
of Scripture, that no letter may be changed. This is in fact more than a
surmise, for we know that later on such a view was held, and we also know
that the texts were not all modernised to orthographic uniformity. I won't
try to speculate on dates, though the name Ezra springs to mind.

Peter Kirk