The Linkage Between Isaiah 7:14 and 9:6

Eduardo M. Acuna eacuna at mail.giga.com
Fri Mar 9 12:03:32 EST 2001

> On 08-03-2001 21:17 Eduardo M. Acuna <eacuna at mail.giga.com> wrote:
>

> >> <Hebr> (MNW )L <endHebr> is written as two words indeed in e.g. BHS or
> >> Snaith. However, the Codex Leningradensis itself does not show a clear
> >> space between the two elements.
> >>
> > And not only there but the whole text of CL. So, applying this fact only
> > to Isaiah 7:14 and 8:8 is misleading.
>
> No, it is not misleading. It just demonstrates that if you want to separate
> these elements, you have to provide much better evidence than a
> bible-edition. Now, your only evidence is the interpretation of an editor.

The very same CL has the evidence: Jeremiah 46:16. It is written as one
word <Hebr> )L(MNW <endHbr> with no separation, in fact the Lamed and the ayin are
joined. I checked the CL from the facsimile edition by freedman published
by Eerdmans.
Contrary to your statement, <Hebr> (MNW )L in Isaiah 7:14, 8:8 and 8:10 does
show a separation as compared with Jeremiah 46:16.
Eduardo.