Intelligible English Translation of plural YOU in KOINE.

Stephen C. Carlson scarlson at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 8 11:42:21 EST 2001

At 10:28 AM 3/8/01 -0600, you wrote:
>If you used "y o u" to show plural, what about the fact that word
>processors would cause the word to be separated and carriaged if at the end
>of a line?  Something should be invented that would be coherent within
>itself, for the sake of word processing.

I believe that computers are invented to make life easier for
humans.  Humans should not sacrifice to make life easier for
computers (the punch-card ballot is an example why).  In this
case, most word processors support a "non-breaking space",
which is not separated and carriaged at the end of a line.

There are other solutions, and German texts have been using
spacing for emphasis for years without too much technical
trouble (I can't stand it, though).

Stephen Carlson
Stephen C. Carlson                        mailto:scarlson at mindspring.com
Synoptic Problem Home Page   http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/synopt/
"Poetry speaks of aspirations, and songs chant the words."  Shujing 2.35