(Off topic) Technical term needed

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Tue Mar 6 21:21:19 EST 2001

Dear Ian,

You write:

>Hopefully someone here might be able to help me regarding something I have
>to translate. The author talks about the noun to which a phrase is genitive
>and supplies a word for the main noun (in Italian "reggente", ie "regent")
>which I don't know. In the phrases

>   1. John's dog

>   2. The dog of the house

>The genitive in each case is clear, but what grammatical tag can I use for
>"dog" in these cases to show its relationship to the genitive?

In the first one, it would be "the dog of John," where "dog" is in Hebrew
the nomen regens and John is the nomen rectum.

In the second it is the same. 'Dog" is the nomen regens (construct state)
and "house" is the nomen rectum (genitive).

				Harold Holmyard

More information about the b-hebrew mailing list