Was: tell dan; minimalism (now re: Ezra-Nehemiah)

Ian Hutchesson mc2499 at mclink.it
Mon Mar 5 12:20:40 EST 2001

Vince,

I did get a grin out of the lateral thinking rib. There was a lot to comment
on in your post, but, although I'd be greatly interested in the implications
of all the post, let me concentrate solely on the final part:

>re: Ezra-Nehemiah
>
>Nehemiah 1-4 is roughly contemporary with his historical dating.

I'm not sure I understand what this means, but, if it says that Neh 1-4 was
written in the early Persian period, I'd really like to know on what grounds
you say it.

>however,
>linguistically, the hebrew of Ezra-Nehemiah represents the latest stratum
>of the biblical corpus.

Doesn't the section of Nehemiah you mention earlier, however, evince,
e-Vince, signs of a different authorship?

>definitely not, however, a product of our common era:

Why not? I'd really like to know how anyone can get earlier without being
solely reliant on the text. There are no citations of canonical Ezra before
the rabbinical period.

>wow, that is too much lateral thinking---even for me ;-)

Can one have too much?  (-'

((To be positivist) the stultification of progress is only through the lack
of it.)

Ian