tender eyed ???

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Sat Mar 3 10:58:17 EST 2001

At 11:36 PM 3/2/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>I would appreciate this groups thoughts on the term "tender eyed" from the
following
>verse
>
>Gen 29:17  Leah was tender eyed; but Rachel was beautiful and well favoured.
>
>Thank you,
>Rick Hoenstine

literally she brought "tears to the eyes".  in other words, this is a
euphemism for *ugly*.  She was so ugly she brought tears to the eyes-- but
Rachel was a babe!  Leah was what may well be termed a *double bagger*.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Bible, Quartz Hill School of Theology
Adjunct Professor of Ancient Near Eastern Studies, Hudson College

Home Page:
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest