SHABUA in Dan 9:24-27

Dan Wagner Dan.Wagner at datastream.net
Fri Mar 2 19:24:18 EST 2001

It's OK by me.

> Is the older translation 'weeks' appropriate? If so, why?

"Heptad" seems to be the most non-controversial way to translate it.

> Is this section to be considered a 'expository midrash'?
> (Goldingay, 231)

No, prophecy! (no, i'm not going to take time now to respond whatever flak
may come for that statement!)

> Is the distinction between chronology and chronography (a
> stylized scheme
> of history used to interpret historical data rather than arising from
> them) (Goldingay, 257) appropriate here?

The outworking in time follows the prophecy.

Dan Wagner

> Are there any legitmate literary problems with verse 27 (i.e.
> that it was
> added later, if so, why? Maccabean period?) (NIDOTTE, 4:21-22)

I think the very fact of its cryptic nature and difficulty shows that it is
orignal with Daniel like all the rest. If late, after-the-fact, why would it
be so tough to figure out?

> Does the context of chapters 7-9 help in understanding this section?

Yes, but too big a question for the moment for me....

Dan Wagner