HEYLEL.

Kevin W. Woodruff cierpke at prodigy.net
Mon Jun 25 18:07:40 EDT 2001

Bill:

Heylel is a noun which  comes from a verb halal (used in Job 29:3 and other
places) which means "to shine. It refers to the morning star (traditionally
the planet Venus). Some think it may also refer to the crescent moon.
The LXX transllated it as EWSPHOROS, "morning star" and Jerome translated it
as "Lucifer" (light bearer) which means "morning star" in Latin.

Only later did Lucifer come to mean by extension "Satan" or "the devil"

Kevin

At 10:18 AM 6/25/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>To all:
>
>How did we get from the hebrew HEYLEL in Is. 14.12 where I understand the
>hebrew to be, "O shining star", and some translate Lucifer?
>
>Shalom,
>BILL
>
>---
>You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [cierpke at prodigy.net]