cafe taHat soda

Randall Buth ButhFam at compuserve.com
Fri Jun 22 01:08:00 EDT 2001

shalom Liz,

While reading today's paper I remembered your note on "taHat".
(LF:)
>Once tho I told
>the waiter that I wanted tay Ham taHat ha Soda (that I had
>originally ordered). He brought me both the tea and the soda. I
>learned only later that taHat does not mean "instead of" in
>Modern Hebrew.

Actually, "taHat" needs contextual clues for it to be understood "not
literally"
but in its metaphorical extensions. Modern Hebrew shares other common
relator-words in this semantic domain, like "bimqom", "temurat", "Helef",
"biglal".

Anyway, in today's paper:

"[hem] omrim sheheHliTu levatter `al ezraHutam ha-tsarfatit
velidrosh ezraHut yisraelit taHteha."
they were saying that they decided to give up their French citizenship
and to seek Israeli citizenship in its place.

shabbat shalom,

Randall Buth