Golden Calf article

Walter Mattfeld mattfeld at mail.pjsnet.com
Thu Jun 21 18:29:34 EDT 2001

Available at my website is the following article (if interested, click on
the url in my signature and navigate to the OT Menu)-

"The Non-Egyptian Origins of Israel's Golden Calf Worship"

This brief article, utilizes archaeological findings to cast a light upon
the origins of some Israelite traditions, and challenges the biblical
portrayal of Israel's "Golden Calf Worship" as coming from Egypt. Instead,
it will be argued that it is derived from Canaanite concepts, which in turn
have modified earlier Syrian and Mesopotamian sources.

All the best,  Walter

Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld
Walldorf by Heidelberg
Baden-Wurttemburg, Germany