yqtl patterns and Anson Rainey

Peter Kirk Peter_Kirk at sil.org
Wed Jun 13 18:27:02 EDT 2001

Well, I don't know if I am confused or not, but...

It seems to me that Randall is basically saying something like this:

The forms QATAL and WAYYIQTOL are used when both the aspect is perfective
and the tense is past.

The forms YIQTOL and WEQATAL are used when either the aspect is imperfective
or the tense is non-past.

The participle is used when the tense is present and the aspect is
imperfective, but continuous rather than habitual.

Or is it something like this table?

              Past       Present     Future

Perfective    QATAL      N/A         YIQTOL
              WAYYIQTOL              WEQATAL

Imperfective  YIQTOL     participle  YIQTOL
continuous    WEQATAL                WEQATAL

Imperfective  YIQTOL     YIQTOL      YIQTOL
habitual      WEQATAL    WEQATAL     WEQATAL

I am sure this is a serious oversimplification. But am I getting somewhere
close? I note that this is similar to Greek (but not Russian or English) in
that aspect distinctions are not made in the future. The difference is that
tense distinctions are not made fully in the imperfective.

Peter Kirk