reading hebrew

Liz Fried lizfried at umich.edu
Sun Jun 10 16:58:10 EDT 2001

I'd like to reassure people that it is possible to go
from a read-only language to actually speaking.
I just got back from 12 days in Israel and was quite pleased
to realize that I could get by with my 2500 year old vocabulary
and grammar (with some English additions). Once tho I told
the waiter that I wanted tay Ham taHat ha Soda (that I had
originally ordered). He brought me both the tea and the soda. I
learned only later that taHat does not mean "instead of" in
Modern Hebrew.
I had a lot of fun tho. People answered me in ENglish, but
I continued with my BH.
Liz