SV: QohSV: Qoheleth

Bearpecs at aol.com Bearpecs at aol.com
Tue Jun 5 04:54:56 EDT 2001

In a message dated 5/22/01 9:51:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tlt at teol.ku.dk
writes:
> Although I find it difficult to assign
> > dates to such complex secondary literature as we find in the Pentateuch,
> > the Psalter and Isaiah because of their collective nature, I do think we
> > have been able to establish on the basis of other texts what is often
> > referred to as Late Biblical Hebrew

I think we must also keep in mind the likelihood that scribes and redactors
"modernized" some of their source material.  Cross and Freedman discussed the
implications of this vis-a-vis orthography, but is it not possible that in
prose (less likely in poetry, of course) archaic words were sometimes
replaced by more contemporary ones?

Hayyim